17 Dec How to Have Flawless Skin During the Winter Season
The winter season in New York is both beautiful and brutal. Like two sides to a coin, visually winter can be beautiful, especially when there is a fresh blanket of snow on the ground. However, on the flip side, the cold, wintery weather can be harsh on your skin. The cold and low humidity can dry out your skin, causing it to become dry, itchy, and flaky. If left untreated, dry skin can crack and bleed, leaving your skin looking unsightly. However, there is a way to have flawless winter skin if you follow our helpful winter skin care tips below.
Winter Skin Care Tips: 5 Ways to Have Flawless Winter Skin
1. Did you know that frequent showering during the winter can strip your skin of moisture? While you may enjoy a hot shower when it’s cold out, it’s better for your skin to use warm water and not take frequent, long showers or baths.
2. Thoroughly moisturizing your skin with an oil-based moisturizer is essential. This should be done when you are out of the shower, while your skin is still damp, and frequently throughout the day when your skin feels dry. Overnight treatments are also recommended, especially on particularly dry areas of the body.
3. While applying body oil is vital to keep your skin hydrated and moisturized, adding moisture from the inside is also needed. Even though there’s no summer heat and sweat to entice us to drink water and stay hydrated, if you want to have healthy-looking skin, you need to remain hydrated, especially during the winter.
4. Dry air is common during the winter, outdoors, and indoors. While you can’t control the humidity levels outside, you can control the humidity indoors. Getting a humidifier is recommended, especially since indoor heat typically strips the air of moisture. Putting moisture back into the air will be absorbed by your skin, which will help keep dryness away.
5. Avoid cleansers with salicylic acid and glycolic acid during the winter, as they can increase skin dryness. During the cold winter months, it’s essential to use a moisturizing cleanser to clean and hydrate your skin. Just be sure to apply toner and a moisturizer to your skin afterward.