23 Sep Otoplasty Cost: Is The Surgery Worth The Benefits?
Otoplasty surgery augments and reconstructs the external part of a person’s ear. Many consider the surgery but don’t know if the otoplasty cost is worth it. Here’s everything you need to know about otoplasty so you can weigh out the cost and benefits.
Reasons For Having Otoplasty Surgery
For the most part, otoplasty surgery is done for cosmetic reasons. If you have large ears that are disproportionate to the rest of your head or ears that you feel stick out too far, you are a typical candidate for otoplasty.
Otoplasty is generally for those that are unhappy with their ear shape and position and would like to feel more confident in their everyday lives. Otoplasty can be done at any age as long as the ears are done developing, which is usually around the age of five.
The three main types of otoplasty are:
- Otopexy: Pinning and flattening protruding ear.
- Ear Augmentation: Reshaping the external part of an ear if it is underdeveloped.
- Ear Reduction: Reshaping the external part of an ear if it is too large.
Average Otoplasty Cost
Like most surgeries, the cost of otoplasty varies. However, the average otoplasty cost in the United States hovers around $3,000 (depending on your insurance policy). It is unlikely your insurance will cover cosmetic surgery unless you’re receiving treatment for congenital or traumatic reasons. In that case, you may receive partial coverage from insurance.
Some of the risks that come along with otoplasty include:
- Infection: Though unlikely, an infection can occur with most surgeries and is treated with antibiotics.
- Scarring: Scarring can occur, but the scar will most likely be hidden within your ear crease.
- Asymmetry: Your ears may not be perfectly symmetrical post-surgery.
- Appearance: You may still be unsatisfied with your ear’s appearance.
- Bleeding: A clot may form under the skin and cause pain and inflammation.
Otoplasty Cost: Is It Worth It?
Otoplasty can tuck your ears away and give them a smaller, tightened appearance. Repositioning and reshaping your ears can give you a boost of confidence and lessen your embarrassment in everyday life situations. Though otoplasty is rarely necessary, it can help you rebuild your confidence and feel comfortable in your own skin.
Is the $3,000 otoplasty cost worth it? Since it is a low-risk surgery with high success and satisfaction rates, otoplasty is probably worth it if you have the financial resources.